Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring in Oregon & Autumn in Ethiopia

Despite getting several feet of snow in the mountains over the last few weeks, my garden is starting to bloom with lilacs, tulips and camilla's. I love spring and can't help but wonder if our daughter will enjoy playing in the garden as much as I do. Yesterday I spent many hours in the garden weeding, it was not a glamorous or beautiful gardening day but it was a necessary one. It was a gloomy rainy day but I knew that this work would provide beautiful garden beds all summer long.

"Do me a favor during the rainy season, and I shall do the same for you during the dry season" ☀
~African Proverb


Tulips that bloomed early in my garden (I spared you from all the pictures)




Thinking about the seasons, I have been wondering what is blooming in Ethiopia at this time and what their weather typically is during "our" spring months. While I was searching for answers I was surprised by what I learned.

Although I was expecting to come across some "exotic" flowers I was surprised to come across that their native plants also grow here including Primrose and Shrub roses. Throughout the gardens in various parts of Ethiopia they successfully grow Hibiscus, Hollyhocks, Cannas, just to name a few.

Native flowers blooming in Ethiopia:

Rosa abyssinica which is prevalent around the hillsides:








Primula Verticillata (primrose)
Interesting fact: Did you know that one of Ethiopia's main exports are roses! Ethiopia had obtained $138 million from the export of cut flowers in 2009, the Ethiopian Flower and Horticultural Products Association (EFHPA) said in August 2009.


So what does the weather look like in April in Ethiopia:
The months of March, April and May are considered to be the season of Autumn (Belg) which experiences occasional showers. Ethiopia has an ‘all year round’ temperature with Addis Ababa averaging 20°C. Although most mountain regions get the bulk of their rain between March and September, most days are still sunny.

We are excited to see the beauty and culture in Ethiopia...no matter what season it will be!

1 comment:

  1. Angela and NicholasApril 8, 2010 at 12:53 PM

    Thanks for always sharing such wonderful information with all of us! I love that you are always updating the Blog~Even when you are not delivering any updates on the adoption status you still manage to share such beautiful, inspiring words...and YES, I am sure that your lil Angel is going to love being in the garden just as much as her beautiful mommy! Oh~and YES, I am sure she will love helping daddy in the yard too!!!

    ReplyDelete